Hollywood Strings Sketches

Posted on November 30, 2011 at 4:14 pm, by Ben

null Hollywood Strings Sketches by BenBotkin

EastWest’s Hollywood Strings is, in my opinion, the best string library out there for someone serious about string writing. It is more cumbersome and resource heavy than the other best-string-lib-contenders out there (largely because it is so expansive and in-depth), but if you are willing to work around these realities, it does yield the best sound of anything out there right now.

The audio file above is a medley of some string sketches I wrote up with HS in a very short amount of time–about 15-45 minutes each.

• Well done.

Please forgive my ignorance in this question:

I am considering buying Cubase for my brother. Is this a separate program or is it a plug-in that can run on Cubase?

Thanks for sharing,

Posted by John-Mark on December 1st, 2011 at 11:33 pm
  • Very impressive! It would be very difficult to tell the difference between this and a real orchestra- down to the smallest nuances of the articulation, and even the subtle background reverberations and bow sounds which appear in ‘live’ recordings.

Did you get this recently? If so, I’m VERY excited to hear what you do with it in the future!

Posted by Daniel Lamb on December 3rd, 2011 at 9:14 pm
  • This is beautiful, Ben, thank you for sharing! I wish that I did enough composition to justify buying this. 🙂

Posted by Grace on December 4th, 2011 at 2:29 pm
  • Very nice sketches!

Posted by Gabriel H. on December 10th, 2011 at 2:16 am
  • Are you still running on 8GB RAM? From what I understand, using some of the more robust HS patches for a string section requires double or more that.

Rick

Posted by Rick Holets on December 16th, 2011 at 1:33 pm
  • John-Mark, Hollywood Strings is both–it is a separate program from Cubase which runs as a VST plugin.

Posted by admin on December 17th, 2011 at 6:27 pm
  • Daniel,

I’m flattered you think it sounds so nice! I think EWQL did a great job with the recording and programming.

I’ve Hollywood Strings for a while, but most of the work I’ve done with it has not been ‘published’ online yet.

Posted by admin on December 17th, 2011 at 6:30 pm
  • Thanks Gabriel and Grace!

Posted by admin on December 17th, 2011 at 6:30 pm
  • Hey Rick,
    I am still running on 8GB and you are correct, some of the individual ‘powerful’ HS patches would use that entire amount. Because of this I use exclusively the ‘lite’ patches at this point in time.

I will be upgrading my system in the not too terribly distant future but I’m kind of holding off until I have to because it’s going to take a lot of time researching the hardware and software compatibility stuff, it’s going to take a decent lump of cash, and it’ll take a while to get everything assembled, installed, and up and running smoothly.

My next machine will have a MINIMUM 16GB, and a few SSDs for key libs like HS. I may even take the plunge into the world of the slave PC–which will be a big jump for me.

At this point though, everything runs pretty smoothly and satisfactory for me. I have also been discovering that the main thing that is holding me back is not my machine, but my knowledge of orchestration. 🙂

Posted by admin on December 17th, 2011 at 6:38 pm