New Brass Library

Posted on June 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm, by Ben

CineSamples just released their long-awaited and eagerly-anticipated (by me, at least) CineBrass. I payed the very reasonable $399 price tag yesterday and downloaded the 8GB of content which installed easily and runs in Kontakt 4 (4.2.3 required) as smooth as butter. This musical sketch below is the first thing I played around with after loading up some patches, and though it’s still quite sloppy, you can get a sense of the playability and credibility of these brass instruments.

CineBrass Adventure by BenBotkin

The interface is really simple and intuitive–there are many articulations but few patches to hassle with, and of course, it runs in Kontakt which just makes everything nicer. The first-play experience is incredible. The velocity-sensitive key-mapping in the “articulations patches” is brilliant. I’ve long wanted to carry a staccato trumpet or horn line and end the phrase with a marcato note, but having to load another patch and sync the two so it sounds like part of the same performance is always a headache and often a waste of time. In Cinebrass, you can control the length of your staccato articulations by the velocity of your hit, which is awesome.

This is by far the best brass library I have played or heard to date. We’ll see what East West’s Hollywood Brass has to offer when it is released next month, and though it will probably sound great, I somehow doubt that it will match the playability or deadline-friendly conveniency of CineBrass. Maybe I’ll be eating my words in a month, but kudos to the CineSamples team for producing an exceptional product that not only does better what other current libraries do decently, but one that expands the horizon of what is possible with sample technology.

• Fantastic! I liked the staccato too. 🙂 Keep up the good work!
    ~Natalya
    P.S. Did you arrange/write any of the background music at Nadia and David’s wedding. Cause if you did it was beautiful. 🙂

Posted by Natalya on June 11th, 2011 at 8:45 pm
  • Neat! Sounds nice. Looking forward to Hollywood Brass- we’ll see…

Posted by Gabriel H. on June 14th, 2011 at 4:13 pm
  • @ Gabe: Can EWQL’s HB get much better than this? Cinesamples did an awesome job… plus they’re much more affordable. 😉

Cool beans, Benjamin! I’ll bet you had fun writing that! 😀

David

Posted by David W. Hamitlon on June 15th, 2011 at 1:39 pm
  • Thanks, Natalya! All the music at the wedding was pre-existing music, mostly classical and filmscore.

Posted by admin on June 15th, 2011 at 1:56 pm
  • Hollywood Brass is going to have a slightly different philosophy behind its production. CineSamples libs are supposed to give the composer the basic tools he needs to get the job done quickly, easily, and believably, with less emphasis on comprehensiveness and the ability to produce absolutely every conceivable brass sound with the library–articulation-wise, CineBrass is pretty spartan compared even to ProjectSAM or EWQLSO Brass. If HB is anything like HS, it will be huge, epic, awesome sounding, offer a plethora of articulations, but have a much steeper learning curve than CineBrass–also the price and system resources will be significantly higher. I don’t think they will really be the same library but I do know that EWQL sent out their HB email announcement the same day as the CineBrass release. 🙂

Posted by admin on June 15th, 2011 at 2:10 pm
  • Wow! It’s not sloppy at all! I am by no means an expert on this, but I think this music doesn’t need editing.

Posted by Andrew on June 22nd, 2011 at 9:37 pm
  • Wow! That sounds a lot better than any thing I’ve ever written! Good job!

Posted by Jordan Strang on July 14th, 2011 at 11:17 pm