Navigating History: Egypt

Posted on December 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm, by Ben

Adventure. Exploration. Discovery. Pyramids. Pharaohs. History. Danger. Wonder. Are these words that spark your imagination and kindle the fires of intrigue within you? If so, then the Navigating History: Online Video Tour is for you.

My brother Isaac is on the ground in Egypt at this very moment with a team he has assembled for the purpose of cataloging the history and assessing the culture of the oldest civilization in the world… from a decidedly and self-consciously Christian worldview. I thought it was an interesting idea when I first heard the concept brought up a few months ago, but since then I’ve become way more invested and fascinated in the series and the subject matter than I ever thought I would.

In summary, you need to sign up. Now. Go to www.navigatinghistory.com and do so before the hyperbole of this post wears off. Or, if you are not totally sure you can afford to meet the paltry $49.99 sign-up fee, enter the Navigating History Subscription Challenge. For every 5 friends you get to sign-up for the show, you will be given a free subscription yourself, or a $35 Western Conservatory gift card–whichever you prefer. I would totally do this myself, except that I already have all the video they can crank out because I’m writing the music for the series.

On that note (har har), here is a teaser medley of some of the music I have written thus far. I also wrote the music in the video above… visuals courtesy of the guys at The Effects Forge.

At about 0.35 in this track you can hear my wife, Audri, playing harmonics on the cello. I only had about an hour to write that cue (0.13-0.45), so I played a series of notes for Audri and told her to improvise on them for a few minutes while I loaded a template in Cubase 4 to start the project. By the time my template had fully loaded and started up, I had some quality ethnic cello phrases to slide of our H1 handheld recorder into Cubase, ready for reverb and processing. I love my wife. 🙂

Look out for an upcoming post on the instruments and tools behind the production of the score, but for now, Here is a question for all of my dedicated readers (Audri and Mom, please rise):

• May I have an *signed* album download????

Posted by Not Audri on December 4th, 2010 at 11:06 am
  • “How many of you would you be interested in purchasing some of the music from the show when it is completed as an mp3 album download?”

Oh, oh! Me! Pick Me!

Posted by Dallas on December 4th, 2010 at 1:42 pm
  • I would.

Posted by John on December 4th, 2010 at 5:31 pm
  • I have really enjoyed the music. Way to go, both of you!!! God has blessed you greatly.

I would be very interested in a download.

Posted by Grace on December 4th, 2010 at 7:13 pm
  • When I played the teaser, heads around the room slowly turned toward me and asked, “What is this? Can I get it?” My family would love to get this. Count us in!

Posted by Linda Orwoll on December 4th, 2010 at 11:05 pm
  • I would be interested in having a music download! I am loving the tour so far. I have always been interested in Egyptian history so it is particularly fascinating to me.

Posted by Gabrielle Renee on December 6th, 2010 at 9:33 am
  • Oh, I would! God’s blessings on the entire project.

A sister in Christ,
    Jamie

Posted by Jamie on December 6th, 2010 at 5:59 pm
  • I would be interested.

Posted by Jeffrey French on December 8th, 2010 at 6:56 am
  • Our family would be interested! We’re looking forward to the Egypt course coming out on DVD, as time restraints made it impossible to take the course right now. God bless!

Posted by Heather on December 10th, 2010 at 10:10 am
  • Oh, I think a soundtrack would be very neat! I have enjoyed just listening to the music, before the documentary actually begins.

Posted by Hannah on December 10th, 2010 at 10:15 pm
  • Hey Ben!

Out of curiosity – Are you using Garritan’s World Instruments for this soundtrack, or are you tweaking some other instruments that you already have?

Sounds good! Looking forward to hearing the rest of it!

Posted by Benjamin Coder on December 12th, 2010 at 11:28 am
  • That would be awesome if you had a music download. I was really hoping that you might do that because the music is beautiful.

Posted by Hanne-col on December 12th, 2010 at 2:45 pm
  • I would buy one!

Posted by Fred on December 20th, 2010 at 10:21 pm
  • @Benjamin, I will be posting on the instruments I used for the series soon. Keep Posted!

Posted by admin on December 21st, 2010 at 12:57 pm
  • I would absolutely purchase the MP3. I have greatly enjoyed the samples of music, as well as watching Navigating History. It is a great joy to hear you both working together as “one flesh” for the glory of God. May He bless you exceedingly according to His perfect will.

Posted by Kate on January 7th, 2011 at 10:37 pm
  • I would be interested in purchasing the album if you make it available to download.

Posted by Jessica Wiens on February 14th, 2011 at 2:11 pm
  • I would definitely be interested in purchasing a downloadable version of the sound track.

Keep up the good work For His Glory.

Posted by Daniel on May 12th, 2011 at 1:29 pm
  • […] to the Navigating History site to learn more about the project! I’ve also written a few posts in the past about the creation of this music, and the instruments I used to do so (Part 1) (Part 2). “The […]