Spy Music Winner

Posted on June 26, 2009 at 1:23 pm, by Ben

Three weeks ago I stated that the first person to recognize every element I intentionally included in my spy music re-mix would receive a free download of the Return of The Daughters Original Soundtrack. After a lot of astute observation and deduction in the comment section, every melody and theme in the mix was properly guessed …save for one. It only comes in for a moment, but I intentionally left the orchestration pretty bare so that the “secret” melody, played by flute at 0.59, would be more exposed and therefore easier to hear.

Hint: Chances of your recognizing it without having grown up in 1970s Soviet Russia are slim. I never would have heard this music if it hadn’t been passed to my brother by a Soviet Navy shipbuilder from Vladivostok. It’s from Semnadtsat Mgnovenij Vesny, or in English, The 17 Moments of Spring, a 1973 Russian miniseries about a Soviet spy operating in Nazi Germany under a false identity. The melody I “pulled” from it can be heard in this clip.

Knowing it was a little unfair to require listener familiarity with a melody this obscure, (hey, spying is about keeping secrets, right?) I decided to award the first person to correctly identify the four other melodies (Mission Impossible, James Bond, The Incredibles and Secret Agent Man) intentionally placed in the mix. His name is Warren. Jeremiah Warren.

• LOL, no way I would have guessed that.

Posted by Jeremiah on June 26th, 2009 at 4:36 pm
  • Congratulations, Jeremiah!!!

Posted by Kay Morris on June 27th, 2009 at 7:23 am
  • Thanks!

Posted by Jeremiah on July 4th, 2009 at 7:03 pm
  • Hey Ben,

Does “17 Moments of Spring” have a soundtrack?

Kyle

P.S. I just ordered “Cutthroat Island” last Tuesday. It’s shipping from the U.K., so I’m eagerly awaiting the post each day.

Posted by Kyle on July 7th, 2009 at 8:00 pm
  • Kyle,

I’m not aware of a currently existing soundtrack for “17 Moments of Spring.” I highly doubt you could find a CD, given its origins.

Enjoy the Cutthroat Island soundtrack!

Posted by admin on July 23rd, 2009 at 12:32 pm
  • Ok, Ben, thanks for the info on 17 Moments. I think there may be an obscure Russian CD out there with a compilation of his works…but I’m not sure if it’s readily available.

Cutthroat Island arrived a couple days after I posted the comment. As I listened to the whole thing and promptly ran off to sea, I’m writing this comment from a port in the Caribbees. It’s a miracle they have internet down here. I hear a good bit of other soundtracks in here, but mostly Horner’s Rocketeer.

Kyle

Posted by Kyle on July 23rd, 2009 at 9:39 pm
  • Actually, I don’t hear as much of any “other soundtracks” as I made it to sound. I should have written:

I hear similar orchestrations (even similar themes) from other soundtracks from time to time–but they are mostly non-prominent sections. However, I do hear Horner’s Rocketeer in several different places.

Posted by Kyle on July 23rd, 2009 at 9:49 pm