Free Sheet Music online at the IMSLP (International Music Score Library Project)

Posted on May 8, 2009 at 4:27 pm, by Ben

sheetmusicpic525

I wish this resource filled with over 28,000 public domain scores had existed back in my piano playing days, but I still find it helpful for a number of reasons.

If you are a student of composition, I recommend you go to the IMSLP and download some of the full orchestral scores hosted on the site, and study them while listening to an mp3 of the actual piece. This has been helpful to me in the past because the sheet music shows you exactly which orchestral actions create which results. “Ah… so that’s how Tchaikovsky got the woodwinds to sound that way….”

• Wow! This is really helpful. Thanks!
    Just a thought: is there any way you could post a sample of some of your orchestral scores for study?

Posted by Ethan Blayze on May 19th, 2009 at 12:13 pm
  • I second the idea…”Buccaneers,” perhaps?

Kyle

Posted by Kyle Shepherd on May 20th, 2009 at 8:23 am
  • As it turns out, all the music on my playlist was sequenced in MIDI, so sheet music for those pieces doesn’t actually exist!

Besides, I would not recommend my scores to people as the first ones to study, seeing as whomever who did would probably pick up all sorts of less-than-ideal composing habits.

Posted by admin on May 20th, 2009 at 10:55 am
  • That’s a great resource! Thank you for sharing! I’m going to have fun printing and playing some of the pieces!

Posted by Melissa M. on May 22nd, 2009 at 6:28 pm
  • This is brilliant – thanks so much!
    Free sheet music is indeed a wonderful thing. 😀

Posted by Molly on June 9th, 2009 at 10:51 am
  • Yes, during my piano lesson days I used IMSLP extensively. It’s an amazing resource!

Posted by Michael Wulff on February 3rd, 2011 at 5:28 pm